Karla Stover's Blog

I visited with a friend, made contact with a long-lost cousin and the sun came out. How happy am I?

Friday, July 26, 2013

I've been reading Mother Wore Tights, a book written about her parents by the daughter of one of vaudeville's floradora girls. (Betty Grable stared in the movie.) But here's the cool thing: over the years, as I've talked about Tacoma on my radio show, I always mention books where some mention of Tacoma unexpectedly pops up. In Mother Wore Tights, well-known, Tacoma actor Charlie Mack, who excelled in blackface, appears. The author was four when she met him back stage and fell in love. Every day she drew him a picture (generally of the same thing) and one day he tried to give her some money for it. Her parents wouldn't allow her to accept the money so Mack went out and bought her silver heart on a chain. How very kind when he could have just brushed her off as a pesty kid. In the books I've read, information about vaudeville generally comes at the beginning of a biography where the star started in vaudeville and made good in the movies, such as W.C. Fields or Burns and Allen. This is one of those out-of-print books that was a delight to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment